Steven A White, Ph.D
- Full Name: Steven Allen White
- Residence: North Carolina, U.S.A
Applied Research AssociatesSenior Engineer I
Lead developer and community manager for the BioGears Physiology Engine. Acted as the primary investigator for various contracts centered around the Sustain Trainer and Prolonged field care intervention. BioGears is an Open Source human Physiology Engine which uses a lumped parameter model to perform real time physiology simulation based on clinical data and verified results. Applications include a UE4 plugin and a QT5 based exploration UI along with numerus commercial integrations with training manikins.
Applied Research AssociatesStaff Engineer II
Acting as the lead UI developer for an Augmented Situational Awareness Application. Work with partners to provide accurate geo-registration of marked points and tracked assets. Provided expertise for porting existing ARC4 filtering backend to mobile platfoms and the development of a OpenGL based UI. Guided the development of Linux drivers for propritary sensing hardware. Additionally, I assist in the writing of future project proposals between interested partners.
International PaperApplication Developement Specialist II
Worked for the Packaging Systems Division of International Paper. Lead Developer of 3 in a team of 10 support personnel for Kiwiplan Scheduling Software. I lead the team in designing several projects of my own design as well as external request by other divisions. These projects required the reverse engineering of Kiwiplan software to conduct information retrieval and provide consolidated interfaces for over 131 individual software installations with in the division. (Team of 3
Center for Advanced Computer StudiosVisuilization Researcher
As a researcher in residence I primarily worked independently on the development of the Simulated MIG Lab. This project was a fully immersive welding simulation. The simulation used optical tracking solutions utilizing passive IR reflective markers on a rigid body to obtain 3D position and orientation of the user as well as his tools. The work plate was then render on the work surface using active stereographic technology. Finally, builds of this tool utilized OpenCL to offload work to various co-processors for a significant performance gain. In addition to this wok I assisted on several other projects, which were worked on my fellow researchers in an advisory nature.
Louisiana Immersive Technologies EnerpriseResearch Scientist
LITE focused on economic development though an infusion of information technology research. My primary workload was split between the Virtual Storm and V for Volcano. The tools were designed as curriculum enhancements for high school and introductory collegiate courses. Both tools provided early examples of tablet interfaces for touch screen laptops and were worked on in collaboration with Iowa State. In addition to these projects we developed a full feature fire simulation along with other HPC application. The job also afforded me the opportunity for developing build systems across non-homogenous hardware architectures an experience, which is valuable to this day.
MarketEchoUser Interface Developer
Developed auto provisioning hardware for VOIP networks with the now defunct Market Echo. Software was based on the JBOSS architecture using the SPRING framework to interface with existing CenturyLink (then CenturyTel) billing and support systems. The team consisted of five members and my component mostly focused on interface design and system interface, with CentryLink’s billing system.
BioGears is an open source, comprehensive, extensible human physiology engine released under the Apache 2.0 license that will drive medical education, research, and training technologies. BioGears enables accurate and consistent physiology simulation across the medical community. The engine can be used as a standalone application or integrated with simulators, sensor interfaces, and models of all fidelities.
ARC4 delivers accurate augmented reality (AR) for outdoor mobile applications. ARC4 users see geo-registered icons overlaid on their real-world view. ARA has successfully integrated ARC4 technology with a variety of heads-up displays and computing platforms. ARC4 can deliver leap-ahead AR situational awareness for your commercial, government, or tactical need.
Simulated MIG Lab
Simulated MIG Lab is an immersive training simulation designed to rapidly induct students to the complex lessons of early weld training. It was developed to meet the low-cost requirements of a city run technical institute. The project provides a reasonably accurate simulation that would function on commodity hardware developed new approaches, which departed from current simulations on the subject. Advanced attention was given to the development of the weld bead and undercut to allow post weld inspection as part of the learning process. This work was eventually extended in to my PH.D subject mater
Preliminary work in LiDAR reconstruction using remote telemetry from automated drones. To be used in multi source time-lapsed intelligence visualization in conjunction with the US Military. A state of the art survey was performed for both commercial and academic solutions. Additionally, multiple implementation comparisons using acquired datasets provided a complete review in order to present the proposed forward moving research direction.
Virtual Volcano takes the research experience gained from the Virtual Storm project and attempts to apply and extend them to the field of Volcanology. A multi platform and interface abstract application allows for the exploration of multiple volcanic archetypes. Project was inspired to remove misconceptions in introductory students developed through a lifetime of exposure to false literary representations. Application can be run locally or differed to a remote server with interfaces available for desktop and VR paradigms.
Tracking solution involving a cooperation of both the hardware sensors and the software rendering system. A small, high-resolution camera is worn on the user's head, but faces backward (180 degree rotation about vertical from the user's perspective). After acquisition of the initial state, the VR rendering software draws specific fiducial markers with known size and absolute position inside the VR scene. These virtual markers are only drawn behind the user and in view of the camera. These fiducials are tracked by ARToolkitPlus and integrated by a singleconstraint-at-a-time (SCAAT) filter algorithm to update the head pose. Experiments analyzing accuracy, precision, and latency in a six-sided CAVE-like system show performance that is comparable to alternative commercial technologies.
- - Awarded Best Paper of IEEE VR Conference Proceedings 2009
- - Extended publication in IEEE Visualizations and Computer Graphics 2011
Partnered with Iowa State the researched focused on improving the educational transfer achieved when interacting with the program developed previously as part of an NSF funded project. The creation of additional objectives and the inclusion of higher resolution data elements for interactive sampling greatly improved feedback during user studies. Project results are still used regularly in undergraduate components of Iowa State's introduction to Meteorology.
2013Ph.D.Computer ScienceUniversity of LouisianaLafayette, LAImpact of Visualization Augmentation on Welder Training:
A study with the Simulated MIG LabDr. Dirk Reiners
2010M.S.Computer EngineeringUniversity of LouisianaLafayette, LA
2009M.SComputer ScienceUniversity of LouisianaLafayette, LA
2008B.S.MathematicsLouisiana Tech UniversityRuston, La
2005B.S.Computer ScienceLouisiana Tech UniversityRuston, LA
- "Baird, A., Serio-Melvin, M., Hackett, M. et al. BurnCare tablet trainer to enhance burn injury care and treatment. BMC Emerg Med 20, 84 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12873-020-00378-z"
- "A. Baird, M. McDaniel, S. White, N. Tatum, and L. Marin, “BioGears: A C++ library for whole body physiology simulations,” JOSS, vol. 5, no. 56, p. 2645, Dec. 2020, doi: 10.21105/joss.02645. "
- "M. McDaniel, J. M. Keller, S. White, and A. Baird, “A Whole-Body Mathematical Model of Sepsis Progression and Treatment Designed in the BioGears Physiology Engine,” Front. Physiol., vol. 10, Oct. 2019, doi: 10.3389/fphys.2019.01321. "
- "M. McDaniel and A. Baird", "A Full-Body Model of Burn Pathophysiology and Treatment Using the BioGears Engine"," 2019 41st Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2019, pp. 261-264, doi: 10.1109/EMBC.2019.8857686."
- McDaniel, M., Carter, J., Keller, J. M., White, S. A., and Baird, A. (2019). Open source pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic framework: tutorial on the BioGears Engine. CPT Pharmacometrics Syst. Pharmacol. 8, 12–25. doi: 10.1002/psp4.12371
- White, Steven A: Impact of visualization augmentation on welder training: a study with the simulated MIG Lab (Doctoral dissertation); University of Louisiana, 2014
- Chambers, Terrence L, Aglawe, Amit, Reiners, Dirk, White, Steven, Borst, Christoph W, Prachyabrued, Mores, Bajpayee, Abhishek: Real-time simulation for a virtual reality-based MIG welding training system in Virtual Reality, 2012
- White, Steven A, Prachyabrued, Mores, Chambers, Terrence L, Borst, Christoph W, Reiners, Dirk: Low-cost simulated MIG welding for advancement in technical training in Virtual reality, 2011
- Steven A. White ; Dirk Reiners ; Mores Prachyabrued ; Christoph W. Borst and Terrence L. Chambers Virtual reality welder training, Proc. SPIE 7525, The Engineering Reality of Virtual Reality 2010, 752505 (January 27, 2010); doi:10.1117/12.840473; http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.840473
- White, Steven, Prachyabrued, Mores, Baghi, Dhruva, Aglawe, Amit, Reiners, Dirk, Borst, Christoph, Chambers, Terry: Virtual welder trainer in Virtual Reality Conference, 2009. VR 2009. IEEE, 2009
- Malcolm Hutson, Steven White, Dirk Reiners: JanusVF: Accurate Navigation Using SCAAT and Virtual Fiducials in Virtual Reality Conference, 2009. VR 2009. IEEE, 2009
- 2021:SWIG Bindings: Exposed language bindings for Java,Python,C#,Go, and Rust from BioGears and other C+ libraries to various other languages using the SWIG Framework.
- 2020:QT5: Built multiple UIs for BioGears and Sustain Trainer related projects using QT5 and QML. Application include both static and dynamic uses of the QML objects along with C++ <-> QML interactions
- 2019:Unreal Engine 4 plugin developer for various third party libraries. Learned to expose SDK hooks for native C and C++ libraries to Unreal and best practice for memory management and dealing with UE4s optimizations and limitations.
- 2018:Modern CMake development and maintence of multiple open source projects. Modern CMake focuses on the use of paramterized functions calls wich allow projects to be imported as dependencies of downstream projects and self bootstrap with out expert implementation. CMake system matinaed include ARC4, Biogears, Skyline, and open source submissions to several projects.
- 2015:Linux Kernel: Developed Kernel drivers for Linux and Android to allow background service to send display data to a USB based display. Driver based off DisplayLink, but ultimently used on custom hardware.
- 2013:Raspberry Pi: Designed HID interface devices designed to model various console controllers. Each controller is capable of play-back and recording of controller input to be used for software automation. Additional interface to macro software can be acchieved using in-house http server.
- 2009:Developed simplified GPU design on Spartan III FPGA design. System design included serial interface for submitting primitive graphics instructions for displaying low-resolution tile and text based graphics. System was used as a proof of concept for future instruction on how to utilize various features on FPGA boards.
- 2008:Omni-directional treadmill. Assisted in discovery phase of systems programming using LITES acquired omni directional treadmill for use in combat training simulations. This phase included the construction of a three wall CAVE like environment and the installation of an optical tracking system to interface with custom hardware for reporting user position to the treadmills motor controls to ensure that users stayed centered at all times during the simulation. http://ultoday.com/node/711